ShuffleLog

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Manhattan Blogger?


Holy shit. Among the running of the Top Phrases Least Likely To Be Used To Describe Me:

John Ore, a blogger in Manhattan, devotes an entire blog to chronicling his iPod’s shuffles.

I was contacted late last week by Open Source, part of Public Radio International. Seems they'd done a show on the shuffle feature of the iPod, and in doing research, came across my little gem of a blog (I'm listed in the "Extra Credit Reading" section).

As a follow up to that program, Open Source ran a feature on the shuffle phenomena:

To find out, I plugged 'iPod,' 'shuffle,' and 'ghost in the machine' into Google Blog Search. That netted me a handful of bloggers who see methods in their shuffles’ madness (and some fans of the 'Ghost in the Machine' album by The Police). John Ore, a blogger in Manhattan, devotes an entire blog to chronicling his iPod’s shuffles. In his first post on ShuffleLog, he says that he has a hunch that his shuffled songs follow 'secret Contact-esque patterns.' I emailed him to ask what he meant.

I cracked off a few hastily-prepared responses to Julia's queries, since I was on the way out the door to dinner in Brooklyn, and they were planning on taping from 7-8pm that evening. My responses weren't the most measured, but they got the point across. Julia ended up running the feature and excerpting several of my responses.

But damn, check out the 100 or so comments to the original show, and the comments to the feature. There's some serious geekery in there, and it seems I didn't even come close to scratching the surface in my half-baked attempts to find patterns in the noise. But hey, I'm just a "blogger in Manhattan".

(Many thanks to Julia, by the way, for stumbling across ShuffleLog and asking for my insight for her feature.)

The search continues...

5 Comments:

  • GET OUT!!!!

    Who knew I was such a trend-setter by following this infamous blog!!

    Does this mean you may actually post every once in a while? I might even read it even if you don't blog about the shuffle.

    By Blogger Mamma, at 11:04 PM  

  • If by "infamous" you mean "not famous", indeed!

    We'll see how much the shuffle comes up going forward. After poisoning the experiment, it'll take on a less academic (ha!) air to be sure. I'll definitely use this space to scribble music news that I'm interested in: new stuff I'm listening to, shows I've seen, etc. May eventually have to combine it with my hockey blog stuff.

    By Blogger Clarence Rosario, at 1:48 PM  

  • Nice work Clarence - does this count as one of your 15 minutes? Thanks for the comment, btw, and Corner Bistro sounds good - send an email.

    By Blogger Steve, at 2:06 PM  

  • WOW! What would be REALLY neat is if you got a LIFE!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:15 PM  

  • I'm actually gonna leave anonymous's comment up (above), and take the troll bate.

    Get a life? Oh, you mean like leaving anonymous comments to that effect on a useless fucking blog of someone you don't even know? Seriously? That's "getting a life"?

    No thanks.

    By Blogger Clarence Rosario, at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home