ShuffleLog

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

ShuffleLog 20-Nov-06: And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

Using the ill-gotten gains acquired at a craps table at Caesar's last week, I decided that the crappy iPod earbuds needed replacing. My chief complaints about the stock earbuds are the common ones: 1) they fit like shit, and fall out of my apparently odd-shaped ears when walking, jostling on the subway, or jogging; and 2) they don't do jack for noise isolation, and therefore have to be cranked up just to be heard on the subway, probably causing damage to my ears, and definitely causing damage to the earbuds. The resulting crackle in the earbuds just exacerbates the problem.

In what is probably the first (and likely not the last, if I ever need to learn English or get my GED while studying for my MBA) example of subway advertising working on me, I decided to check out the new Bose TriPort in-ear headphones. I'd seen the new ads on the subway, so since I was in the market for new earbuds (and not, say, a solution to hammertoe), I wanted to check them out. Previously, at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue, I'd been told the Shure E2C earbuds were da bomb. But the Bose earbuds were the same price at the Bose store on Columbus Circle, and I trust Bose's sound quality.

Having used these for a couple of days now, I'm pretty impressed. They provide the amazing, rich sound that Boze products are known for. As the guys at the Apple Store and Bose shop told me, the iPod earbuds suck at replicating deep tones like bass. They compensate with volume, resulting in blown earbuds, eardrums, and crackling bass. The Bose earbuds pick up and deliver bass tones incredibly well, and the overall clarity pulls subtle sounds out of the songs that you never knew existed.

The TriPort earbuds also come with 3 different sized silicon tips that you can interchange for the perfect fit in your ear. This serves three purposes: 1) it provides a more snug, stable fit; and 2) it channels the sound directly into your ear, isolating outside noise, requiring less volume and resultant ear damage. A bonus is that you can't hear any music as an outsider standing right next to me. As anyone who's ridden an elevator with some moron blasting their iPod knows, starting your day listening to vaguely loud static from the guy next to you sucks. Problem solved.

I haven't yet nailed the fit of these earbuds just right. The three sizes -- creatively S, M and L -- allow you to interchange one ear at a time. I think the S works best for my right ear, and I haven't decided on my left ear just yet, since all three feel like they wiggle loose after a while. Ironically, when I would run, I felt like I was constantly jamming the right earbud into my right ear. That's not the case here.

I'll update you on the fit after I take these for a first test run (pun intended). OK, enough product placement (Bose, still waiting on that check, thanks!), on to ShuffleLog.

ShuffleLog 20-Nov-06
  1. Pixies, "Hey" - Doolittle
  2. Stereolab, "Vocal Declosion" - Margerine Eclipse
  3. The Lovemakers, "Prepare For The Fight (Dummies Club Mix Edit)" - Times of Romance
  4. Anjo, "Sunrise" - GU003: Prague (Disk 2)
  5. AIR, "Le Voyage de Penelope" - Moon Safari
  6. Danny Howells, "Price" - 24:7 (Disk 1)
Hey, we almost made it without a repeat. And what a repeat it was: second repeat of a remix. That's so meta. Fitting send-off for their fellow East Bay melody makers. Even as the A's abandon them.

6 Comments:

  • I have the Shure E2c's and they've got good sound quality and insulation properties. The funny thing is, my left side earbud tends to fall out, as well. The only cmplaint that I have about the isolation style headphones is that things that rely on sound conduction seem amplified. For example, when the headphones cord rubs up against my jacket's zipper while walking, I can hear every tooth.

    By Blogger Sanford Owings, at 1:31 AM  

  • Thanks for making me laugh this year.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 AM  

  • Sweet! Blog spam. I must have arrived.

    By Blogger Clarence Rosario, at 9:18 AM  

  • Oh, and thanks for reading, y'all! Happy Thanksgiving!

    By Blogger Clarence Rosario, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home