ShuffleLog

Monday, November 13, 2006

Point-Counterpoint: Excuses v. Assholes

OK, so now that I'm all, like, caught up and shit, it's time for a deep breath before we soldier on.

So, what's been happening in the intervening 10 days since the last ShuffleLog? Oh, tons.

First of all, I've been toting my iPod around plenty. It's just that I recently acquired some new music, and dammit, I wanted to listen to it. As a result, I've done a little bit of shuffling around (pun intended), and we're now up to 636 tracks on the lil' sucker. Not statistically significant, mind you, although it is a 2.3% increase in the number of tracks.

So, who's in?
  1. As I'd mentioned a little while back, I added Kasabian's new release Empire, along with The Shout Out Louds.
  2. On a business trip to Amarillo, of all places, I picked up Jurassic 5's new record, Feedback.
  3. A recent visit to Tower Records (soon to be R.I.P., sniff!) enabled me to take advantage of 30%-40% off CDs and movies. Part of the haul included a new Streets record, The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living, and Outkast's Idlewild.
OK, so who's out?

Ah, Oakland Faders, we hardly knew ye. But they popped off 20 tracks over their stay in the ShuffleLog 200, 16 of them unique, a full 40% of Fader Nation Vol. 1. But, alas, they took up too much space with 40 tracks, and frankly the short track length made for a jarring ShuffleLog experience. But a great record to listen to, top-to-bottom.

All of the new additions need to grow on me. Kasabian's Empire doesn't stand out like their eponymous debut did, and in just a couple of listens it sounds a little flat. I need to give it a few more tries.

The Jurassic 5 record -- their first in 4 years -- starts off with two strong tracks, "Back 4 You" and "Radio". And while it features (grrr...) The Dave Fucking Matthews Band, "Work It Out" is pretty catchy. There are a couple of throwaway tracks in between, but I've only listened to it twice.

Idlewild is another opus from Outkast, and shows promise with their signature blend of styles. It's also long, so the chances of me getting through the record on the subway or on a run are slim. Perhaps on the flight to -- fittingly! -- Atlanta for Christmas.

I was really looking forward to the new Streets record. It's pretty good, but lacks the continuity of storytelling that the first two, Original Pirate Material and A Grand Don't Come For Free, have. I also haven't found a Mike Skinner signature heart-rending track like "Dry Your Eyes", but I'll keep listening if you keep reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home