ShuffleLog

Monday, September 25, 2006

ShuffleLog 22-Sept-06: Dorkier Than D&D

Yep, it finally happened. Either out of boredom, laziness, or latent deep-seated geekiness, I dumped all of this in a spreadsheet. This allows me to:
  1. Be efficient, easily capturing each ShuffleLog, rather than scribbling it on a Post-It note every day. And it's easier to look for trends when it's all in one damned place.
  2. Be lazy, since repeat artists, tracks or albums can autofill via Excel magic.
  3. Be the geek that I can be, including lame-ass pie charts on the distribution of tracks, album, or artist instances.
That, and the miracle of cut-and-paste:

ShuffleLog 22-Sept-06
  • Mara, "Coming Down" - GU021: Moscow
  • Oakland Faders, "Track 26 " - Fader Nation Vol. 1
  • Ladytron, "Beauty*2" - Perfecto Chills Vol. 3 (Disk 1)
  • Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, "Heavy Metal " - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
  • Nouvelle Vague, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Perfecto Chills Vol. 3 (Disk 2)
  • She Wants Revenge, "Red Flags and Long Nights" - She Wants Revenge
  • Way Out West, "Everyday" - Don't Look Now (Disk 1)
  • Tenacious D "Wonderboy" - Tenacious D
  • Way Out West, "Absinthe Dreams" - Don't Look Now (Disk 1)
That, and the miracle of my stupidity. Since I sorted the tracks, I blew it and screwed up the natural order in which they were originally played. OK, I can thankfully reconstruct the natural order of most of the past ShuffleLogs by virtue of this damn blog and it's previous postings. Good thing I'm a quick learner. But this one is reconstructed from memory.

And what does the power of Excel tell us now that we've been at this for over a week? That, among 52 tracks played through Friday, 22-Sept-06, there's very little that's random about Shuffle Songs:

Album Counts Through 22-Sept-06

Perfecto Chills Vol. 3 5
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah 4
Don't Look Now 4
Fader Nation Vol. 1 4
Tenacious D 4
24:7 (Disk 2) 2
Funeral 2
GU024: Reykjavik 2
Mezzanine 2
She Wants Revenge 2
Times of Romance 2
To The 5 Boroughs 2
17 others 1

Even though I was an English major, and was told there would be no math on this blog, even I can see that Perfecto Chills is getting disproportionate airplay. Sure, it's a 2-disk set, with 11 tracks per disk. But that's still only 3.6% of all tracks on my iPod right now (remember, it's 613 total). Yet Perfecto Chills represents almost 10% of all ShuffleLog tracks played since 14-Sept-06. Even more disturbing is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, which has 12 tracks or 2% of all tracks on the iPod, yet represents 8% of ShuffleLog tracks.

Yeah, this difference seems like mice nuts, but it may belie something nefarious. I've only ever listened to CYHSY all the way through once, so it's not like the iPod's got huge play counts on it. I haven't rated any tracks on the record, and I only added it to my iPod within the last 2 months. Where's any SixxMixx track, which I played like mad over the past year? Bloc Party?

Never underestimate the power of my dorkiness to quantify this notion. Yes, Virginia, there might be a there there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home